Windshield Repair or Replacement
Windshields can be a terrifying part of your vehicle to have damaged. Your windshield protects you from dust, bugs, rocks, and wind and is important to the structural integrity and strength of your vehicle.
Repairing your windshield should be done immediately. If left unfixed, a small chip could lead to your windshield shattering when you hit a bump or pothole. It can also be illegal to drive in certain states with large cracks and may result in expensive tickets if left un-repaired.
At North Idaho Collision Repair Center, we have more than six decades of experience in the auto body industry at the highest levels. We’ve worked on every type of windshield repair and use the industry’s best practices and tools to fix them quickly and effectively.
Repairs of small chips and cracks often take less than an hour to repair. We begin by vacuuming any dust out of the crack or chip and injecting a clear resin. After it dries, we polish the area and return your vehicle and keys.
Did you know your windshield is more than a single layer of glass? Your windshield is actually made of three layers. These three layers include a layer of resin or Poly-Vinyl Butyral between two layers of glass. If a crack reaches the middle layer, our team will carefully drill to that layer to inject a curable resin.
Sometimes when repairs won’t solve the problem, a replacement becomes necessary. We remove the trim to prevent any more damage, remove the windshield, clean out the pinch weld, apply urethane, and carefully install a new windshield. Afterward, we inspect it to ensure it passes our high standards and return your vehicle and keys to you.
Along with our decades of experience, we are committed to ongoing learning and training. As automobiles evolve, we will continue our pursuit of new knowledge and industry certifications. We are an ASE Certified shop and currently completing our I-CAR Gold Class training.
When you bring your vehicle to us, our auto glass repair technicians will inspect every inch of the windshield. They will evaluate if it would be better to repair or replace your windshield. We consider the following factors:
• How large is the crack or chip? Can it be covered by a dollar bill? If so, we will attempt to repair it.
• Is the chip, crack, or dent in the driver’s line of sight? If so, it may be better to replace the windshield.
• Is the damage at the edge of the windshield? It might be safer to replace the windshield.
• Is the windshield old and covered in divots and scratches? It may be better to replace the windshield.
• Is the damage on both sides of the glass? If the damage permeates the glass or is on the inside of the vehicle, it’s much safer to replace the windshield.
• Are the cracks long and complicated? It might be safer and more cost-effective to replace the windshield.
• Are the cracks or chips full of dust and dirt that can’t be cleaned out? If so, filling them with resin will only obstruct the view. Therefore, it’s safer to replace the windshield.
After we’ve determined if you should repair or replace the windshield, we walk you through your options and estimate your costs. Once we have your approval, our team of auto glass repair technicians will get started.
Our team at North Idaho Collision Repair Center is committed to taking the frustration and confusion out of the accident. We’ll be there every step of the way through getting your vehicle fixed and will answer any questions you have. We want to be a resource for you. Call us at (208) 267-9995 to schedule an appointment.
We want to take the sting, and the confusion, out of the accident. We want you to make one call, to us, and we will walk through the entire process with you.